1979 Yamaha XS650, perfectly maintained with upgrades
201979 Yamaha XS650 Custom
I have ridden a few different XS’s over the years in various configurations, states of repair, or disrepair, but this particular XS speaks to the purist in me; even though the end product of Chip Schafer’s build is anything but. The XS650, Yamaha’s first attempt at a 4-stroke motorcycle, is built around an engine known for its low-end torque and 360-degree crank angle. The XS was never known as a fast or well-handling bike and while it only made as much horsepower as its nearest 400cc neighbor, its responsiveness, torque curve, and small dimensions made for a ride all its own.
With most of its torque available at just 1700 RPM, a twist of the throttle can dig you out of virtually any hole, in any gear, and with a fury of acceleration. Beefier front stanchion tubes for the year sharpened the cornering characteristics. Front discs replaced the drum in this model year a well. To top it off, our bike here has been loving maintained and updated by its owner boasting a slew of Mike’s XS parts for a custom look and feel. Below is a list of maintenance and upgrades.
– 11,4XX miles, most put on by the existing owner.
– Most replacement parts purchased from MikesXS.com. Most
maintenance and major work conducted by Flying Tigers Motorcycle
– Tank and side covers are custom painted by Auto Beauty; burgundy
metallic over silver with modified Roadstar tank emblems. Made to
emulate a vintage Triumph Bonneville.
– Replaced original handle bars with Daytona bars for pseudo-café look.
– Newer performance exhaust from Mikes XS.
– Rebuilt front forks include progress springs and fork brace.
– Stainless steel braided front brake lines from Mikes XS.
– Flying Tigers rebuilt both wheels. Original rims and hubs powder-coated
black, laced with Buchanan stainless steel spokes (might be nickel…can’t
– New seat cover with Yamaha logo from Mikes XS.
– One-year-old GelMat battery.
– Extra parts included: center stand, passenger pegs (removed as a solo
rider), manual, etc.
– This bike has been lovingly cared for over the past 20 years by current
owner. Always garage kept and under a bike cover. Regular
maintenance and tunes by Flying Tigers.
For further information, to schedule a test ride, or to purchase, please fill out the form below. Come take her for a spin and see for yourself.